Buddha point in Bhutan alias Kuensel Phodrang is a gigantic statue of a Shakyamuni Buddha. It is constructed in the mountains of Bhutan and is one of the most happening points in Thimphu. It is located at a short driving distance from the Thimphu City centre.
The Buddha Point Bhutan draws its name from the gigantic Buddha statue which stands tall and is also the largest in Bhutan. People come here to offer prayers to Lord Buddha and also enjoy the beautiful glimpse of the valley.
The Buddha point Bhutan or Kuensel Phodrang has a list of things you must know before visiting:
1) The statue of Shakyamuni Buddha stands tall with a height of 51.5 meters and is made up of bronze. It is the tallest statue in the whole of Bhutan
2) The country has a beautifully paved road leading to the statue and besides followers, the road is used for drives, jogging, cycling and walks beside payment of homage to Buddha.
3) The statue of Buddha has a secret that is hidden inside the huge Buddha statue. The statue in Buddha point Bhutan has been filled with around 125000 smaller statues of Bronze made of bronze too.
4) The tall Buddha statue is located in Nature Park on top of a hill and offers the view of the Southern entrance to Thimphu Valley.
5) The statue was started building at the end of 2004 by Aerosun Corporation of China. The statue took longer than expected and was finished by September 2015.
6) The statue was built in the mountains to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Jigme Singye Wangchuk, the fourth King of Bhutan.
7) The statue is so tall that it can be clearly seen from anywhere in the valley.
8) The statue fulfils two prophecies about the statue which were as follows :
– In the 20th century, a renowned yogi whose name was Sonam Zangpo prophesied that a large statue of either Buddha Padmasambhava or of Phurba would be built in the region to spread peace and happiness on the whole world.
– The statue is said to have been mentioned by Guru Padmasambhava himself. Guru Padmasambhava is said to refer the statue as the “second Buddha” in the eighth century.
The Buddha point attracts a lot of tourist especially Buddhist pilgrims who come to pay homage to the Giant Buddha. Though it is an architecture excellence, its statue is said to look even beautiful during the early mornings and secondly when the statue is illuminated at night.